Suldog made a list of 100 he loves about America. That inspired me to make a list of 100 things I love about the Netherlands. BUT… I will try do make this list with photographic ‘evidence’ so to speak. So the plan is as follows: I’ll be posting one (or more) photo(s) every week of something I love about the Netherlands. That will what… take me about two years to complete the list? (Maths were never my strong point.)
What the hell was I thinking when I decided to do this? Two years! So I’m not promising anything. I might get bored or be dead before the list is completed. In which case I’d like to say “I’m sorry” in advance.
So here come the first photos of something I love about the Netherlands. Let’s start with something obvious:
WINDMILLS
This windmill is called ‘De Meeuw’ (The Seagull) and dates from 1851. It is situated alongside the Reitdiep (a river, partly canalized) in a very small village called Garnwerd (in the province Groningen). It is an eight-sided stone stage grain mill. Although no longer in use, in Summer volunteers let it turn to show people how such a mill used to grind grains to make flour.
Goodness, you are planning ahead. I don't foresee much beyond the next meal.
ReplyDeleteVery pretty windmill - there's something very attractive about windmills.
A Dutch windmill in the Netherlands... how unique.
ReplyDeleteBTW when you do one post each week you can stretch this out for seven years if you take Christmas and New Year off.
Wow that's quite a commitment perhaps i should get on the bandwaggon to fill in the empty post days. Love windmills, quintessentially Dutch. I'm going to enjoy this vicarious travelling I can tell already.
ReplyDeleteI love your idea, your way with words, AND your photographs. What's not to like? But a windmill named De Meeuw sounds to these American ears like it should be The Cat, not The Seagull. And it's situated on a river called the Right Deep? You're kidding, right? (I mean, reit?)
ReplyDeleteI look forward with joy, astonishment, fear, and something akin to trepidation to your other 99.
the motordom, minature city , curry rice dishes on the canal., i won't say tulips, no i won't, the radhauses all over, the ocean of course{everyone has oceanfront property}, the poeple are by far nicer than anywhere else in eroupe>>.i found that out actually and it only took me eight years
ReplyDeleteJabblog,
ReplyDeleteI'm thinking why I love windmills and I think it is because they are monuments of times gone by :-)
IT,
I have to believe you on your word ;-)
Baino,
gosh, I hope it will not be disappointing and I'd love to know what's great about living Down Under ;-)
RWP,
I'm sure Reit has a totally different meaning, but since I love your Right Deep, we'll go with that. (I'll try to find out where the name comes from.)
Putz,
Your vision of the Netherlands is definitely more romantic than mine ;-) Wouldn't it be lovely if we all had an oceanfront property *sigh*. When I moved to the eastern part of our country I met people who actually had never seen the sea. They just had never undertaken the whole two and a half hour journey :-)
Reit is an old name for a small river that ends in the sea.
ReplyDeleteDiep is also an old name for a river. So Reitdiep actually means riverriver. Right deep it is too!
I love windmills but have never seen one turning. Very cool! Can't wait to see the next 99 things. :)
ReplyDeletethis is history frozen in time,
ReplyDelete...so i have to follow you for 2 years?? ahh!
you're absolutely correct about the Jurassic Scene, here she is and the Jurassic coast... and you must have known by now that i live in Poole.
Skittles,
ReplyDeleteme neither ;-)
Dave,
Sorry Dave, it's quite a commitment, I know ;-)
Lucky you, living in Poole. I can think of worse places. What about 100 things I love about Poole? ;-)
100 things I love about Poole?! humm...interesting idea.
ReplyDeleteMy list of things I love about the netherlands would be very short... about the same length as my list of things i KNOW about the netherlands. Windmills being at number 1 and then comes tulips and little wooden shoes. Obviously I need some culture. I have lots of questions - I get confused with the whole naming thing. What ever happened to Holland? I'm really looking forward to this. I'm off to go google a map.
ReplyDeleteWell C, it will be fun to follow your 100 items via-photo's!
ReplyDeleteI LOVE this windmill too! It is R/W/B my colors!
KK
Dave,
ReplyDeleteI've only come up with about 20 things I love about the Netherlands. I know Poole is much more fun and interesting (of course), but still, quite a challenge ;-)
Jewels,
I will explain the name thing in my next '100' post. And little wooden shoes? Have you seen hubs's wooden shoes? (No, I know you haven't). Okay. Will be in my next '100' post too, but not because I love them. They just fit in the theme of it ;-)
KK,
you should move to the Netherlands! Our flag is red, white, blue.
Oh, but yours is too ;-)
I can't believe hubby really has wooden shoes... I though I was making a joke. Of course, I really DO live in an igloo...
ReplyDeleteBeautiful! I found your blog through "RWP". You have quite a light, lively wit and it's reflected in your writing. Must put you on my list of "must read"
ReplyDelete