the smartest people in the world

Sunday, March 29, 2009

Monochrome Monday, New College Oxford

Posted by Picasa
While literally running through Oxford, from one college to the other, I just had to take photos, such a beautiful place, but I had to take them very quickly. No time to stop and ponder over nice framing etc. or I would have lost my fellow 'students' who were all running in front of me, following our lecturers to where ever we were going. I really had to take snapshots. And actually I'm reasonably happy with the outcome. Perhaps it would have been even nicer if the top of the windowframe had been in the picture, but now I'm nitpicking.

Monochrome Monday is hosted by Monochrome Maniac, Aileni.

39 comments:

  1. You can be well happy with that one, Carolina. It's scrumptious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you framed this shot. It's so well done and amazing that you were rushing when you took it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing wrong with this composition. Nice one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouu La la...very eye catching and lovely, dear! I think the picture on the fly turned out perfectly so. I love the black sculpted framing of the tree!
    Kac

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, stunning. I would take a print of that for my wall!

    I may have said this before, but I'm jealous of all the history in other places. We don't have much over 200 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this one a lot! Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the shot, looks very mysterious this way....
    Just look, how you have captured that tree through the window...lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really the perfect serene place to study or let philosophers'mind roam. I like it a lot.
    It also could have been a religious place to collect oneself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd love a print of that shot! It's very gothic, but peaceful.

    Thanks for calling in earlier - I've never thought about it, but someone must clean those giraffes fairly frequently (what with all the traffic and seagulls...)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sometimes the less time you have to think about it, the better the outcome. I don't think it suffers at all from the "accidental crop".

    ReplyDelete
  11. No, this is a wonderful image. Through the darl into the light. I like this a lot, truly.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I find the quick snaps usually end up the best, as this one does. Impressive framing of the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No need. This is perfect. Almost magical too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it when you post Oxford photos! It must have been amazing living there. I was going to use the word 'stunning' and say that this is the kind of shot I would buy in a large format to frame, but Mimi beat me to it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd say that's a very successful snapshot!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The framing was as it should be, and fitted both the subject and the mem admirably.

    Re your comment: I would much prefer Malyss without the ghost she mentions at the end ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Stop! Its an excellent composition!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is just lovely...so many contrasts with light and dark shades, freeform and well balanced lines. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I like the spooky factor of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. this is one of the best mono photos i've seen at this week's round, i love the dark and bright contrasts here, very dramatic as well. great shot!

    ReplyDelete
  21. it's like a scene from another time...

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is so beautiful!
    Great photo.
    I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It's a great shot! I love it. I have several 'through the window frame' shots in my collection, too. There's something very appealing about this viewpoint.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Also a great shot! Thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Nice framing. Solemnity and agelessness captured in one shot. The B&W no doubt gives the right effect. If in color, it would be too temporal.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So beautiful! =)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Carolina, that is superb! I can't even begin to describe how much I like it. You must be really, really pleased with it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. To all commenters so far:

    Thanks for your lovely comments. You have all brought a smile to my face.
    I have lots of other snapshots from Oxford that will be lovely in b&w (I think), so....be prepared.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. For a 'snapshot' this is a really beautiful picture!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I think you did a great job..don't nit pick! ha.
    I like the horsy..the last one looks like Mr. Ed!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That picture is incredible! It made me gasp, then stare. I would love to sit beside that window on a rainy day with a pot of tea and a stack of books!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I like that it's cropped at the top. It could have been too top heavy had you not cropped it.

    If it wasn't cropped, I think you would need some dark at the bottom to balance the top frame.

    It's a beautiful place. I want to throw down a picnic blanket under that tree and soak up the atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Manz,
    You are right about the top/bottom balance. Now I see it too. Big smile to you my dear.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very much appreciated. I will often answer your comment here too. So please click on the email link. Sometimes the most interesting part of a post are the comments ;-)