Things I love about the Netherlands:
our Royal Family has a delightful little weekend retreat that is called ‘Het Loo’. Well, there must be a throne somewhere in there.
I remember an English teacher, the same one who gave me my nickname Brinkbeest (don’t ask), thought it was hilarious that someone could say: “Two tickets to the Loo.” And then the next one could say: “Two tickets to the Loo too.” And that is about all I’ve remembered from what I’ve learned in school. Which explains a lot.
photo taken from here
Go nuts, learn Dutch:
There’s more poetry in me it seems. That first silly poem opened a whole can of worms words:
So you want to learn Dutch?
And that’s why you’re here?
Well, I can teach you some more.
Some more is ‘iets meer’.
And yes, ‘meer’ rhymes with here.
And day rhymes with ‘plee’.
But something is wrong,
if you spend there a day.
Then you might need a pill .
Or perhaps even two.
Cause what we call ‘de plee’,
is what you call the loo.
But if you dó spend a day
at our ‘Het Loo’,
there’s no need for a pill.
For ‘Het Loo’ rhymes with low.
I know, you’re confused.
As I would have been,
if I’d not have known,
that ‘Het Loo’ housed a Queen.
‘Het Loo’ is a palace.
Now a museum it is,
with gorgeous gardens.
I’m not taking the piss.
(Pardon my French.)
This has a nice flow to it. Did you write it out of convenience, I wonder?
ReplyDeleteOh, Carolina! I fear the the mad English have been a bad influence on you!Breaking out in rhyme is an even worse affliction than breaking out in spots!
ReplyDeletePay no attention to Jinksy. It beats Lyme disease all to pieces.
ReplyDeleteI'm amazed by your facility with language. I do fairly well in one tongue, but to be as funny as this in a second language (with jabs at a third, at the end) is worth applause. If you could hear me right now, you'd be getting some.
ReplyDeleteHahahaha! That's great! Love the rhyme - and the thought that your queen lives in the loo. LOL!
ReplyDeleteHi again,
ReplyDeleteYou could all teach us a thing or two, Carolina.
Would you like to join the Fridge Soup? Or maybe have a regular guest spot?
email me at Friko's Musings, I'm the boss.
You're a twit, you do know that! Lovely palace tho. I've never been to the Netherlands, must correct that sooner rather than later. I'm sure I'll never get the language. Actually a very good couple of friends of mine are Dutch and they're a hoot, great sense of humour. You remind me of them.
ReplyDeleteI'm still hung up on the pic - what a gorgeous building...
ReplyDeletetjat building reminds me of all the radhauses i have seen all over yor country
ReplyDeleteThank you for all your comments.
ReplyDelete;-)
Should you ever visit the Netherlands, be sure to visit The Loo! It is gorgeous. And you can walk throught the woodland park surrounding it. I highly recommend that.