Appingedam
I love the picturesque places in the Netherlands. And there are plenty of them. Appingedam for instance. I’d never been to Appingedam before. No, that’s a lie. I’ve been to Appingedam once or twice, but those were work related visits and I hadn’t been to the centre of town. I knew there was something special about Appingedam though. Some of the houses built alongside the Damsterdiep (the canal) have kitchens that are hanging above the water. But I had never seen it.
So last week we went on a mission. To see the hanging kitchens of Appingedam. Something totally unlike the hanging gardens of Babylon, but sometimes you have to make do.
The people living in this gorgeous house had a very inventive idea for a terrace:
a floating one. Don’t you just love it?
And there were two kids in a boat, cruising the Damsterdiep (the canal).
Groningen and Appingedam are the only two medieval towns in the province Groningen. The city Appingedam originated around 1200 A.D.. Where two rivers crossed, the Apt and the Delf, a lively trade settlement was founded. Established by shipmasters, tradesmen and craftsmen. The name Appingedam, meaning ‘the dam built in the Appe (or Apt)’, was first mentioned in a document dated 1224.
Immediately after World War II, Appingedam’s neighbouring city of Delfzijl developed rapidly and gained the status of the third port of the Netherlands and one of the most important industrial centres in the north of the country.
In 1972 Appingedam acquired the status of a conservation area. This gave the City Council new legal and financial opportunities and they started the restoration, breathing new life into the rundown inner city. Ambitious plans to restore the historic centre of Appingedam in keeping with its unique, centuries-old identity were soon devised and implemented.
The ‘hanging kitchens’ were attached when former warehouses were transformed to houses. I couldn’t find out when this happened, but I did read that around the 17th century Appingedam lost the sort of ongoing battle with the town Groningen, that wanted all the trade Appingedam had. So I suspect that after that lost battle there was no need for the warehouses anymore and they got transformed into living accommodation. Lack of space resulted in the wooden attachments hanging over the water. Easy to get water and for dumping kitchen waste.
I'd give anything to own a floating terrace like that one!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post and seeing the pictures. I had no idea about those hanging kitchens. I'll have to go there some time when I'm back in the country.
ReplyDeleteHaving lived abroad for some any years, I'm learning to enjoy and appreciate the fun and funky stuff about my own country.
I might have to dig a pond in my backyard now. And underneath the house of course. That way, I have a hanging kitchen as well! It looks fantastic anyway!
ReplyDeleteThat gorgeous house looks as though it belongs in a fairy-tale. I like the idea of throwing kitchen waste out of the window but I bet there's a bye-law against it ;-)
ReplyDeleteHanging kitchens! Floating terraces! This is becoming a regular travelogue! I await the other 97 posts with great anticipation.
ReplyDeleteHanging kitchens! Floating terraces! This is becoming a regular travelogue! I await the other 97 posts with great anticipation.
ReplyDeleteYor photo's remind of 's-Hertogenbosch: lots of water there, and.... hanging kitchens!
ReplyDeleteThanks for reminding me!
Monique
Fascinating. I've always wanted to visit - you've done nothing to reduce my craving.
ReplyDeleteI'm super curious about how the warehouses are constructed. Water is such a problem here with flooding, ect. Unexpected rises in water levels would be scary there! Possibly they have dams and locks and such to control that. Like Venice? I love this series of posts Carolina. So much to learn!
ReplyDeleteLovely. They look like two little liqueur bottles that my Grandpa once gave me from a KLM flight in the shape of little houses just like these. Very Dutch, very unique. Love em. You'd never get me out of the kitchen with a view like that.
ReplyDelete