the smartest people in the world

Monday, February 13, 2012

Picturesque pictures

Yesterday hubs and I went to Groningen city to try and shoot some photos of people ice skating on the canals. The all-knowing weather people had forecasted that thaw would set in later that day (they were right for once), so it was probably the last chance to catch some of the special atmosphere of those wintery days  on camera.
Just last summer we went with friends on their boat through this same canal. The weather then couldn’t have been more different compared to the weather yesterday. As soon as we parked the car it started snowing. I wrapped my camera in plastic and we walked to the A-bridge to take some shots of the people on the ice, the boats in the ice and the beautiful houses along the canal.
_MG_1012zoom
Funnily enough there weren’t only people on skates on the ice, but also people simply walking. It’s not like this is a short-cut to somewhere. At least I don’t think so. But perhaps they just wanted to see Groningen from the canals and have no friends who own a boat (like us, the smart ones who choose their friends more carefully.)
Doesn’t it look picturesque? Just like in ‘the olden days’, when winters still were winters and they could have an Elfstedentocht. We won’t mention the Elfstedentocht again. It is a sensitive subject… *sigh*
_MG_1016
_MG_1020
So Junior can see that winters really were winters when he was just a baby and this was the year that we nearly had an Elfste…. You know.

_MG_1062
You have to take off your shoes and put on your skates somewhere.

_MG_1074
This poor little boy had a sled, but no one to pull (him).
Aww…
We then decided to take a longer route back to the car, to shoot some more photos of Groningen. The town was very quiet, even for a Sunday. I wonder why…
_MG_1045
_MG_1047
_MG_1050zoomzwartwit
_MG_1051zwartwit
_MG_1054
_MG_1068
Pretty little street.
_MG_1053
Very thoughtful of the girl to have the colour of her hair and Uggs coordinated with the building.
_MG_1036
I love it when people work with me and think about what they are going to wear and where they will be when I take a photo of them. This guy did a good job!

14 comments:

  1. I would love to skate on a canal some day. I'm not a great skater, but I'm much better just going forward than having to continually make turns. I would think skating on a long straight canal would be exactly the thing for my talents :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to skate on a canal some day. I'm not a great skater, but I'm much better just going forward than having to continually make turns. I would think skating on a long straight canal would be exactly the thing for my talents :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful city! I would love to visit there someday. You've taken some really wonderful photos that capture the feel and attitude of the people and their city. Great work and thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Groningen is beautiful and I'm glad you 'felt' the photos (that sounds weird, but you know what I mean). Thank you!;-)

      Delete
  4. Stunning photos! It's strange to see boats and people in such close proximity in and on the ice and the houses are just beautiful.

    This is a fine folio, Carolina. I love the avenue of trees with the bikes sheltered underneath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them. (I should have paid more attention when I took that tree/bikes photo and should have waited until the car was gone. Ah well, you learn something every day ;-))

      Delete
  5. Interesting post and great shots, but by heck you have it cold over there in the Netherlands right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Well, Sunday evening thaw set in and temperatures are far more agreeable. Only now it's raining of course *sigh* ;-)

      Delete
  6. i love these photos as well, and now am really regretting only having seen that part of the world by horse van :-\ i will definitely have to plan a trip one day when i can get out and walk (or skate, apparently!) i admit i had to look up 'Elfstedentocht' - i'd never heard of it before, but it sounds amazing! one more reason for me to be paranoid about climate change :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :-)
      So you've actually been to the Netherlands? Now I'm curious about why and when and soforth ;-)
      But don't be paranoid about the climate change, because since people are all going on about that, we're having 'normal' winters again. With snow and ice and freezing temperatures. So... don't panic yet ;-)

      Delete
    2. yes i guess was technically there, twice, but only in passing. i was actually on my way to and from scotland with my horse nate for a work and training program, but because i was working as a groom on his flight, i flew in with him to germany and travelled with him by van through germany, the netherlands, belgium, france, england, etc. i saw a lot of scenery, stayed overnight in a few places, and we picked up and dropped off a few horses along the way. and of course when i came home we drove back again through all of it, but i can't say i really got to spend any time in any of those places, so i'd love to go back and see them for real some time!

      i'm glad to hear your winters are normal this year. we had a freak snow storm at halloween this year and since have had the weirdest, warmest winter i can remember. but after last year's never-ending winter from hell, i probably shouldn't complain or freak out and blame climate change - i'll just call it a welcome break ;-)

      Delete
    3. So Nate and you are well-travelled beings. Can imagine that you didn't have much time to get to know the countries you've visited. Ah well... who knows...

      Delete
  7. Oh , I do love Groningen !
    I ended up taking only one photo this year , what with the sore arm and the uncontrollable shivering with cold .... so it's wonderful to be able to admire yours , while drinking coffee inside . Thankyou !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome ;-) Glad your arm is healing.

      Delete

Comments are very much appreciated. I will often answer your comment here too. So please click on the email link. Sometimes the most interesting part of a post are the comments ;-)