the smartest people in the world

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Thursdays Trifles: Reading Handbags

“ What?” I hear you say. “Reading handbags?”

Yes. Apparently handbag-reader Yoeke Nagel organizes a course in ‘how to read a ladies handbag’. Who knew. And who wants to know?

One of the fun loving journalists of the ‘Dagblad van het Noorden’ was interested. Part of the interview he had with her, I have translated for you:

“But a man isn’t allowed to look into a woman’s handbag, is he?”
”Only with permission.”
”What’s in a woman’s handbag?”
”More than she knows. On average 34 objects. Of which she uses about eight. Six lipsticks, an agenda of two years ago. A key, but what of?”
”Why?”
”If she happens to meet a mass murderer, she wants to be able to give him a chainsaw. Prepared for every situation. Everything she subconsciously is scared of, or desires, she connects to objects.”
”Scared of what?”
”Three pairs of handkerchiefs in case she has to cry. Red lipstick in case she has to make a public speech and that she never uses.”
”…..”
”Why the handbag addiction?”
”Every handbag stands for a different aspect of that woman. A bag is also a lifebuoy that she can cling to if she’s out on her own.”
”An insecure woman has a large handbag?”
”She can also carry things for kid, colleague or partner.”
”….”
”Is a handbag part of the woman?”
”It is an additional part of her DNA. There are Paradise Women who don’t carry a lot in their bags, because nothing is perfect. They read glossy interior magazines and want a new interior every month. And there are Cuckoo Women who put their things in their friend’s bag.”
”The woman without a handbag?”
”She must exist. Somewhere.”

 

Now. I’ve checked my handbag. I found two small packets of tissues, my purse and car keys. And when I go out, I’ll put my mobile phone and my iPod in it. That’s it. No chainsaw, lipstick or other kinds of makeup. I put my face on at home and that’s it. No touching up will be done during the day/evening. And I do read glossy interior magazines, but I don’t need a new interior every month. What does that say about me? I’m confused.

What do you carry in your handbag?

9 comments:

  1. My purse contains one lipstick (that I frequently forget is in there), wallet, checkbook, hand sanitizer, breath mints, and fortune cookie papers that I hope will come true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I use a bag I carry lots of things 'just in case' depending on where I'm going - these may include glasses - long distance and reading, small screwdriver, tissues, hand wipes, perfume, brush, keys attached to my purse which holds my credit cards, pooh bags,extra wraps for Frodo the Faller, Nurofen, water, Kindle. When I go out on my own for a short while (shopping, hairdresser, dentist) I just take my little key-ring purse - and tissues in my pocket.
    I love your new header - fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. - oh, and pen and notebook - and mobile phone:-) And Sudoku.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I may come even with Jabblog in purse contents - wallet, MP3 player with headphones, sunglasses, distance glasses, computer glasses, little notebook, various pens, checkbook with no cover (long lost), aspirin, sinus medication, two different sets of keysrings, Nook (similar to Kindle but only sold here in the States), lipstick, small Panasonic point-and-shoot camera, cell phone, and calculator (that's all I can think of at the moment.

    However, this purse I only take to work. I guess all the stuff in it is in case of the Apocalypse. My other purse generally holds just my wallet, phone and Nook.

    Wonder what that says about me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know one without a handbag. Geez, the other day she didn't even have her wallet. I'm fairly certain my stepdaughter has no handbags. The closest thing to a handbag she ever carried was a diaper bag.
    Hmmmmm.... maybe that's why she has to have suck a big automobile?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I believe I have a wallet, checkbook, lipstick, car keys and baby wipes. The wipes are for my grandkids, they're very sloppy at times. Don't read the magazines either. And when I go into a store I just take my wallet and keys in my pocket and leave the bag in the car. Wonder what that means.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No wonder my bag is so heavy: it's the axe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. God this is funny. I have a small leather back pack and frankly I'm not sure what's in it. Definitely at least 3 lip glosses, my purse, bills, sunnglasses and a load of gumff at the bottom. I do know there isn't a pen in it because I needed one yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL. I feel a purse post coming on.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very much appreciated. I will often answer your comment here too. So please click on the email link. Sometimes the most interesting part of a post are the comments ;-)