the smartest people in the world

Friday, April 22, 2011

100 Things I Love About The Netherlands #16

 

TULIPS

Slochteren9026photo taken from here

Although actually tulips originate from almost every country but the Netherlands – especially Turkey I believe, tulips are thought to be typical Dutch flowers.

And who am I to disagree. Nothing better than the first bunch of tulips in a vase after a long, grey Winter. Or those vast acres of red, yellow, pink, purple tulips that brightly colour the landscape in a stripy pattern. I haven’t made photos of that myself yet, so I used one I found on the internet. Doesn’t that brighten up your day?

We do have two tulips, yes, TWO whole tulips, in our own garden. First I thought we had the grand total of one tulip, but just now I’ve discovered another one. Tulip bulbs need to be lifted every year and then replanted again to keep producing flowers, but I’m too lazy for that. So our bulbs do produce leafs, I imagine they’ll stop doing that one day too, but no flowers. Except for those brave two tulips that is.

The first one:

_MG_9009

 

_MG_9023

 

The one I’ve just discovered:

_MG_9013

See how it’s trying to grab my attention, hidden under the thriving raspberry bushes? It’s definitely waving. And if you listen closely you can hear a faint “help”. Poor tulip. But not ignored any longer.

_MG_9018

_MG_9017

7 comments:

  1. I didn't know that tulips had to be "lifted" every year and replanted in order to produce flowers. I suddenly realize what is wrong with Rhymeswithplague Gardens....

    ReplyDelete
  2. for me here in this barren desert, all i can grow this early are tulips and i don't do anything at all and every year i have tulips bloom and are the first up and then my flags are generally blooming by memorial day and then i work on my vegatable garden<><><>i usaually figure if you can't eat them, why grow them????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha! So that's why my tulips flower one year quite beautifully then fade to insignificance? I did wonder!

    Well, now you've told me that I'm going to have to lift my Princess Irene tulips at least, aren't I? I can't let sweet Renie's memorial flower die on me.

    Thanks for the tip! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm, our tulips flower every year and I'm too lazy to do anything with them. Maybe the colder winters? Love the colour of the purple one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I've got you beat! I've got 3 tulips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, your tulips did brighten my day. We've had 5 days of mostly rain, with three more to come. Fortunately, the tulips are growing anyway. Once the sun returns on Saturday, I expect my tulips will open their blossoms and present a beautiful array of colors for the neighborhood to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at those...very neat!
    Ha..no wonder I never got a repeat performance from those tulips I planted!
    Dalias are the same and it is too labor intensive for me.

    I took some shots of my mothers tulips last week...nothing spectacular underneath, like your raspberry plants though.

    Loved the little feller waing at you..."please dig me up so I may bloom again"..it really said!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very much appreciated. I will often answer your comment here too. So please click on the email link. Sometimes the most interesting part of a post are the comments ;-)