the smartest people in the world

Friday, September 11, 2009

Oh, the glamorous life I lead

Our chickens were not alone. They had tiny little visitors called lice. This morning hubs and I declared war upon the little buggers. We bought something very toxic in a spray can and made a plan. The chickens were still in their coop. (We open the door of their coop every morning to allow them to roam free and close it every night, when they are all inside again.) Our plan was ingenious. Hubs would open the door, catch a chicken, close the door, keep the chicken upside down holding it by the legs and I would spray the lice to a certain death (not the chicken). Next chicken please! Hubs was dressed for the occasion in jeans, a T-shirt, rubber gloves up to his elbows and a dust mask with the necessary filter. His job is all about safety at work you know. I wore my gown and the expensive jewellery I had borrowed for the Oscars, which turned out to be the OsKars, also not to be sniffed at, and Cece suggested that I could still wear the gown around the house. This seemed the right occasion. No rubber gloves and dust mask for me though. (Suddenly I'm wondering why not. Some things take a long time to sink in with me. Hmm.) Our plan worked remarkably well. Soon we had sprayed all 6 chickens and the rooster and they were only slightly upset. Then we cleaned the coop thoroughly and sprayed that too. After that we mucked out the stables of the horses. Then I mucked out the pigsty. This wonderful and exciting job was followed by my daily rounds scooping up the dogpoo from the strip of woods that surrounds our grounds. Then I had some coffee and cleaned the cat litter boxes. I don't know. Some days I have the feeling I'm always up to my knees in poo! Still, it could be worse. I could be having a job I hated. Dreading every morning that I'd have to go to that office again. For instance. Actually, come to think of it, I quite like my life. Please remind me that I wrote this if I'm ever complaining again.

12 comments:

  1. You shouldn't have told us what you really wore, I could have so easily pictured you in your Mahnolos (did I spell that right?) and your fantastic ball-gown cleaning up poop from all those critter-animals you have! Yep. Hm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too sometimes feel my life is dominated by poo, but I am so glad my poo cleaning is restricted to the 6 cats and 2 dogs... the extra horse/chicken/pig poo would finish me these days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mara,
    you ARE clever! I've removed it now. Thanks ;-)

    Fi,
    the things we do for love...;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I love love LOVE this blog!
    You are a total hoot and a nutjob to boot :D
    I have scrolled down and PMSL at the Biggles sore paw visit to th vet....and he Ken-of-the-Barbie-kind pubis...hahahahaha, you have such a way with words.....and you have more poop to scoop than i'll ever have to deal with and still manage to be glam- I am in awe!
    I didn't knowabout Biggles's OCD....not so good but as you say, at least he's happy and bouncy.....and what an adorable puppy he was, aww!
    So we'll be back for more hilarity soon :D
    Slobbers xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm.....either my keyboard is sticky or I need my bed...probably both!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dughallmor Beagles,
    you make me blush. I hope you got some good sleep, was it really that early in the morning when you posted your comment?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Magiceye,
    hi, great to see you again. Your meme (or that of you pet) is still in my mind and I will return to it for sure. So many pets to be proud of ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is absolutely fantastic to be able to be grateful for virtually anything. It is truly a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, poor itchy chickens! I hope they are grateful!!

    What do you mean, there is no photo of you in your gown and borrowed jewellery, spraying upside down hens?

    Well, poot.

    LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh I hope I dont get any lices! I'd hate to be hanged upside down by my feet & sprayed with stuff.

    My mom person says good for you, wearing your Oskar gown today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ivan Toblog,
    Irony? ;-)

    Jay,
    Darn , never thought of taking a picture! ;-o

    Oskar,
    The chickens didn't like it either. But the lice were even worse off ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very much appreciated. I will often answer your comment here too. So please click on the email link. Sometimes the most interesting part of a post are the comments ;-)