An email exchange with Janice from Jabblog brought back a memory that I thought I’d share with you.
First some very elaborate background information:
When you get a pet, you probably want to give it a name. Most people do. (Although, I’ve sometimes thought I shouldn’t have bothered thinking of lovely, fitting names for our dogs. We could have just called them all Cookie. They’re back with you in no time when you shout ‘cooookie’ in a high pitched voice.)
This story is about dogs and their names. People who breed dogs, sometimes have their own rules for naming their pups. Sometimes they name their pups after flowers, or for every litter the name should start with a particular letter, or every pup should be named after a Greek god(dess). And then of course sometimes they have a kennel name, either to be placed in front of or behind the name of the pup.
For instance: our Phoebe is officially called: Kim’s News Look Elegant Phoebe. Kim’s News Look = kennel name, Elegant is the collective litter name, Phoebe is the dog’s name.
Holle is officially called: Bonbon of Clay Diggers. Of Clay Diggers is the kennel name and Holle’s name should start with a B. We thought of Bonbon, because she’s from Belgium and they are famous for their delicious chocolate bonbons. But we had already decided that her name would be Holle.
And then there is Biggles. He’s called Boy O Boy Biggles of Towns Channel. Of Towns Channel is the kennel name. He had to be named after a rose, Boy O Boy, and we wanted to call him Biggles.
So far the elaborate background information.
This is the story:
We have labrador retrievers and used to train them for the hunt. Not that we ever planned to take them on a hunt, but they are retrievers, so we thought we’d let them do what they are bred for. And the training turned out to be a lot of fun for the dogs as well as for us humans. I even entered my dogs (our first labrador retriever Cosy (Cosy Karthuizer Valley) and Holle) in a couple of hunting competitions and we didn’t do too bad. Even won some prizes.
One year our club organized one of those competitions and they asked me to be the one to welcome the competitors and their dogs and tick their names off the list of competitors I’d been given. The list had the names of the dogs in alphabetical order and then the name of the handler.
I’d been given a wonky table and a chair, the list, the numbers the handlers had to wear on their outfit (so the judges knew who it was) and some other stuff, like a pen and a cup of coffee.
Welcoming and registering the competitors went something like this:
Man and very enthusiastic labrador approach the table. Labrador immediately jumps up, puts muddy front paws on wonky table, coffee falls over, pen rolls off, I dive under table to rescue pen, dog dives under table too and licks my face. I pop up again from under the table, wipe face, sit on chair, breathe, rescue list from muddy paws of dog that tries to get onto the table, and with a friendly smile say: “Welcome to this competition. Can I have the name of your dog please?”
Man: “Huh, yeah, thanks. Sorry about that. The dog’s name is Tommy.”
I go through the list of alphabetically ordered dog names until I reach the T: Tabatha’s Turd Turning Harry, Terrible Stinky of the Bean Farm, Twister of the Windy Willows….
“There’s no Tommy on the list, sir.”
”No Tommy?”
”No Tommy. But perhaps his ‘real’ name is different? The name on Tommy’s papers I mean.”
”Oh. Yeah. It is. I dunno. Uhm…” Turning around, looking for his wife who’s patiently waiting somewhere well out of the way of the growing row of people with happy labradors: “Honey! HONEY! What’s the name of our dog?!”
”What?”, woman shouts back.
”What’s our dog called?”
”Tommy!”
”Yeah. I know. But what’s his official name!”
”Uhh, I dunno. Something like Flippy Floppy something something.”
I go back through the list to the F’s. Fast Ada of the Furry Bunch, Fast Eddie of the Furry Bunch, Fast Freddie* of the Furry Bunch (a couple of brothers and sisters had been entered in the competition), Ferocious Brutus of the Nippy Teeth (not a typical labrador name), Foreseeing Trouble in the Woods… “No Flippy Floppies here, sir.”
“No Flippy Floppies?”
”No.”
Man looking back down the line of waiting people, busy untwisting their dog’s leash from other dogs’ leashes: “Hey Harry, what’s your dog called?”
”My dog?”
”Yeah.”
”Willy!”
”Yes, I know, but what’s his official name?”
”Uhm… Stormy Weather’s Weird William!”
”Oh yeah”, and turning to me again: “Tommy is called Stormy Weather’s Wonderful Wilfred.”
Me: “Of course.”
And so I wrestled through the list of dog names, because this wasn’t the only guy who didn’t know what his dog’s official name was. I suggested to the organizers to use a different list next time. One that stated the names of the handlers in alphabetical order. I think it’s safe to assume that most people do know their own names.
When I came home, I asked hubs: “Do you know the official names of our dogs?” Blank face: “Uhhh… no idea.”
* All the names of dogs in this post, apart from those of our own dogs, are fictitious. At least I hope so. I made them up. I had to, because this all happened years ago and I certainly don’t remember the names of these dogs.
Fast Freddie was inspired by one of Suldog’s teammates. I hope he doesn’t mind. Wouldn’t it be eerie if he turns out to have a brother called Eddie and a sister called Ada?
Only three of our dogs over the years have ever had "paper names." The others just had "names" even though some of them were purebred and could have been registered if we had bothered to turn in the paperwork. We have had Koko (a Manchester), Gigi (a miniature black Poodle), Cricket (a toy grey Poodle), Hatasha whom we called Tasha (a sad-looking mixture of Labrador and Afghan, P.J. (a miniature white Poodle)and now Jethro (a Havanese).
ReplyDeleteCricket came with two names on her papers, A Very Merry Cricket and also Ragamuffin Cricket. Those don't look like kennel or litter names to me.
P.J. was officially Pierre Jean-Jacques Dubois because the breeder's dogs included the name Dubois. P.J.'s daddy was Louis (Louis L'Amour Dubois) and his mama was Lana (short for Atlanta Dubois, not Lana Turner; you may be too young to know who the movie star Lana Turner was, but I just thought I'd throw that in for good measure).
Jethro is more along the lines of what your post is referring to. His papers say Linyear's Florida Cracker but we would never call him any of those names. His earlier family sometimes called him Jet or Jetters, but he has been Jethro since he came to us. Of course, half the time I call him Punky-Dunky or just plain Puppy.
Go figure.
I apologize for the length of this comment, but you got me started....
Hatasha was a typo. I should have said Natasha.
ReplyDelete@ RWP: we call Biggles mostly Binkyboy, or, more appropriate, Stinkyboy. We often call Holle Hollebol and Phoebe Frummel. And I do know who Lana Turner is, even though she's from 'before my time' ;-)
ReplyDeleteI did actually like the name Hatasha. Reminds me of Hatatitla, Old Shatterhand's horse. Natasha is a Russian spy. In my mind. Not that she is spying in my mind. That would be creepy and more like 'Being John Malkovich'.
;-)
I think our dogs (and Winston the cat) should be called supper since they all come to that call. I met a Labrador called Biscuit - I thought that was most appropriate.
ReplyDeleteI liked your kennel names - the ones you made up. Reminds me of a cat breeder with a sense of humour - the only name I can remember is Egbert Nobacon - but they were all along that line.
Funny story. We've had some dogs with papers and our last boy (Australian Sheperd) was named Garth after Garth Brooks. The breeder likes country music what can I say. We renamed him Murphy and his sister is Maggie. Anyway, we once had a Golden Retriever named Buck and had to think up an official name for his papers. Came up with Buck of Muffin Meadows. What can I say the meadow was full of Buck muffins, thought it fit.
ReplyDeleteI would imagine Suldog won't mind... can't speak for Fast Freddie.
ReplyDeleteI think it's a good thing I've got run of the mill cats, because I would have been lousy at remembering the names!
ReplyDeleteOf all the animals that have come through my doors over the years (dog and cat), only one was a purebred - a Maine Coon from a cattery in the North Carolina mountains. So her CFA (Cat Fancy of America) registered name was Honeycoon's Annie Graham. Honeycoon was the cattery and Annie Graham was my great-grandmother who bred Maine Coons at the family farm in Connecticut for pin money.
ReplyDeleteNot quite as interesting as Tabatha’s Turd Turning Harry, but it was the best we could come up with after a month of trying.
I'm officially Mimi's Oskar Diamond Magic. My mom person goes by Mimi, Oskar is my given name, and my mom person won Neil Diamond tickets on a radio show called Magic. She sold those tickets (they were front row center) to pay my breeder person to get me.
ReplyDeleteWhen I'm being naughty my dad person always reminds my mom person that my name starts with "Mimi's" :)
Nubbin wiggles,
Oskar
@ Jabblog: I do love the name Egbert Nobacon ;-) I can come up with fun names when I don't need them. But when we get a new pet that needs a name... *sigh*
ReplyDelete@ Grey Horse Matters: LOL, brilliant name!
@ IT: Hopeful that Fast Freddie doesn't mind either. And that he has a brother and sister called Eddie and Ada ;-)
@ Mara: you really wouldn't believe some of the names people come up with. Fortunately the poor animals often get a normal name for every day use ;-)
@ Karen: I think Honeycoon's Annie Graham is a wonderful name, certainly because of the history. Did you call her Annie?
@ Oskar: That is a great name with a great history. I love that your mom person sold the tickets so she could pay for you. Who needs an evening of Neil Diamond when you can get a lifetime of Oskar ;-)
I have no idea what Lily's name is or where she came from ...i bought her in a pet shop but I know the Welsh Mountain Pony is "Yorkston Classic" we call him Chippy and the Arab is "Lasalle Royal Flash" hahaha they're not looking very classy right now all covered in mud.
ReplyDeleteHow funny! I can't imagine not knowing your dog's proper name, but I'm probably unusual in that. Certainly, if ever I ask anyone what their greyhound's racing name was, they hardly ever know!
ReplyDeleteI know all of mine. Sid is Dreamer's Silver, and Ranger is Tullylost Ranger. Racing greyhounds sometimes have a kennel name incorporated into their names and sometimes not. They do often name litters with similar sounding names - one dog we had was from a little of 'Wishes'.
LOL. I wrote a post about pet names once too. I rarely call them by their names. Felix turned into bubba, because he's rolly polly. I sometimes also call him black-faced monkey because he looks like a lemur, which is of course, not a monkey, but black faced lemur doesn't have the same ring.
ReplyDeleteFia is called pumpkin because she orange-ish, or mostly, punky.