Poffertjes
Poffertjes are a traditional Dutch batter treat. They look like small, fluffy pancakes, and are made with yeast and buckwheat flour. Unlike pancakes, they have a light, spongy texture. Typically, poffertjes are served with butter and icing sugar.
They are not difficult to prepare, but a special pan cast-iron or copper pan (also available in aluminium with Teflon coating) with several shallow indentations in the bottom is needed. Supermarkets sell ready-made poffertjes, but also stock mixes for poffertjes, to which you only have to add milk and eggs.
Especially in the Autumn and Winter temporary stands selling poffertjes (poffertjeskraam) ‘pop up’ in town squares. Sometimes the ‘poffertjeskraam’ is big enough to provide indoor seating, sometimes you have to eat them outside.
This is a large ‘poffertjeskraam’ that provides both indoor and outdoor seating.
This ‘poffertjeskraam’ that was on the ‘Buiten Bezig Dag’ is the smallest and cutest one I have ever seen.
Three portions ‘poffertjes’, ready for sale. Hubs is ready to buy two of them. One for him and one for me. Just for the photo of course. The things I do for this blog ;-)
The plate with the little indentations is very hot. The poffertjes baker pours batter in the indentations and as soon as he’s poured the batter into the last little dent, he can start turning the ones he poured first over to let them cook on the other side. Experienced bakers can turn the poffertjes over incredibly quickly.
Yum!
Yes, yum!
ReplyDeleteI might have to make a trip to the Netherlands just for some of that.
It/They look yummy. Anything served with butter and sugar icing can't be all bad. If they were round and had holes in the center, they would look like our doughnuts.
ReplyDeleteI love the pans, especially the copper pans. The tiny poffertjes look so sweet. Can food look sweet? I think so. Most delicious, I would think.
ReplyDeleteIT,
ReplyDeleteMe thinks that would be slightly excessive. If you'd do that for the poffertjes ánd for the stroopwafels (a future 100 things post) I'd understand it. But to come here only for the poffertjes... ;-)
RWP,
But they taste more like pancakes I think. Slightly lighter and more 'fluffy' (?) perhaps. Doughnuts are deepfried are they not?
Jabblog,
I think food can look sweet. Both as in toothachingly sweet (that can't be a word) and as in 'aww, so cute' sweet. And yes, poffertjes are delicious.
Yes. Poffertjes and Stroopwafels, attorneys at law or the names of your next two horses?
ReplyDeleteWaffles!!!
ReplyDeleteDid someone say Waffles?
If it wasn't such an awful job, I would make some for us next week. You will have to make do with something else to sustain us...
ReplyDeleteRWP,
ReplyDeletePoffertjes would be a good name for a horse. Since I don't really like stroopwafels, I would not grace them with naming a pet after the them. Love the attorneys at law idea. Poffertjes, Poffertjes, Stroopwafels & Tompoes; for all your legal matters
IT,
someone did!
Mara,
I'm very disappointed ;-) But still looking forward to next week.
The suggestion by RWP about using that as lawyers' names brings to mind Car Talk on National Public Radio and their law firm of Dewey, Cheetham and Howe.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure the poffertjes would be for me, but I love the little stalls from which they are sold. They're utterly charming.
ReplyDeleteI can tell you a few things I love about the Netherlands, by the way, even though I've never been there. I love that everyone I've encountered from the Netherlands has such a lovely sense of humor. That every picture I've ever seen indicates that whimsy is approved of and even sought.
But my favorite thing was reading a story of a farmer in the Netherlands who found some ancient Roman coins on his property. Some of the oldest discovered, and he promptly donated them to a museum so that other people could enjoy them. There were comments on the article, which I read online, and all of the ones from people in the U.S. marveled that anyone would do such a thing! He could have sold them for a bundle.
None of the people from the Netherlands marveled in the same way. It wasn't a shocking, or surprising course of action to them.
That was easily my favorite thing...pretty much about any part of the world.
Anything similar to a pancake, and loaded with that much sugar, is OK by me!
ReplyDelete