the smartest people in the world

Saturday, September 04, 2010

100 things I love about the Netherlands: 6

The Dutch skies,

made famous by Dutch painters from the Haagse School (the Hague School), a group of painters who worked in The Hague somewhere between 1860 and 1900. They rebelled against the opinion of that time, to idealize the subjects that were painted, and tried to give a more realistic image of their subjects. Painters like Hendrick Willem Mesdag and Jacob Maris wanted to capture the atmosphere of the landscape in their paintings and stay as true to reality as possible, especially focussing on the light.

Of course they didn’t have a Canon EOS 40D camera. Life would have been so much easier for them.

Groningen

Groningen

blacktailed godwit

storm brewing over Dorkwerd

Dorkwerd, Groningen

9 comments:

  1. We have skies here, too.

    I know what you mean, but I was hoping the things you love about the Netherlands could be found only in the Netherlands and nowhere else.

    But your photographs are certainly gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really? You have skies? Gosh... ;-)

    It's hard to think of 100 things I love about the Netherlands, that only exist in the Netherlands too. But I will do posts about stroopwafels, tompoezen, poffertjes and other things I suspect are not common in other parts of the world. (Although I'd be lying if I told you I love stroopwafels.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, but under those common skies are things I don't have here in Greensboro including the bird flying in the third photo. Do you know what it is, Carolina?

    And tell me more about the stroopwafels and the tompoezens. I looked them up in Wikipedia and they sound delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you know that t i m is listed in your followers twice?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Karen,
    Ah, for the stroopwafels and tompoezen you'll have to stay tuned for quite a while longer I think. No photos of them yet. But they'll definitely come up in a 100 things-post.

    If you hover over the photo, the name of the bird comes up. It's a Black-tailed Godwit or Limosa limosa (that's latin). We call it a 'Grutto'.

    RWP,
    You're just jealous of my amount of fans. What can I say, T i m is a HUGE fan ;-)

    Mimi,
    :-)
    Love you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the skies as well. As long as they look like this and not like the ones from last week: dark grey with a lot of liquid sunshine coming from them. I was tempted to think it was actually water, especially since my socks turned soppy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cut up the word to get Stroop Wafels and it descends into jinksy madness territory. Stroop a wafel a day and make it go away...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very much appreciated. I will often answer your comment here too. So please click on the email link. Sometimes the most interesting part of a post are the comments ;-)