the smartest people in the world

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Sunday Selections #54: The woodpecker edition #1

Sunday Selections, THE time and place to post those photos that have been aimlessly hanging around on your computer. The lovely Kim from Frogpondsrock hosts this meme. If you want to join in, just hop over to the rocking frog ponds and follow the almost non-existent rules.

Since most of you really liked the baby woodpecker photo that was in my Sunday Selections last week, I thought I’d share the rest of the photos I took of the woodpecker family, with the risk of giving you an overdose. A couple of them have already been posted somewhere, but I don’t keep track of which photos I post on my blogs, not particularly well-organized of me, I know, so I’m really sorry if two or three photos aren’t sad, not-yet-been-used, ones. I know Kim will forgive me. Hopefully.

I have so many shots of the woodpeckers (most of them not very good, but that is why they were still hanging around in a folder) that I’m going to spread them out over a couple of Sunday Selections. So I know you’ll be back here next Sunday. It’s a cunning plan!

 

_MG_9649

_MG_9657

Oops, wrong entrance

 

_MG_9658

_MG_9660

_MG_9669

11 comments:

  1. I love them. Such a pretty littlle bird. Is that a silver birch that he/she has drilled into? And do they kill the trees?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ The Elephant's Child: it is a silver birch. They won't kill a tree, because they drill the nest holes into already dead trees. In these shots you see the male (red spot at the back of its head) of the Great Spotted Woodpecker feeding its young I love them too. We regularly see them around and they always make my day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Birds! I try and try to get photos of them, but those tiny little things flit around so much that I never get a clear shot! I envy you and your woodpecker photos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great! What a colorful and busy little guy. I'm amazed you could get so many good shots of him without him taking off into the air.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are these actually in your own garden?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find these photos incredibly fascinating Carolina because we don't have woodpeckers here in Tasmania. We have birds that nest in tree hollows but none that actually drill the holes themselves (or at least I don't think we do) Your cunning plan has worked :) I will be back for more hehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carolina: You have to go to Julie Zickefoose's blog and see the photos she took of a red headed woodpecker making a nest in her silver birch in southeast Ohio:

    http://juliezickefoose.blogspot.com/2012/01/garrett-makes-home.html

    The parallels are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The bird is beautiful and what an amazing range of photos. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Linda: ha, thanks ;-)

    @ Pam: and thank you too ;-)

    @ amanda: I know. It's difficult. I was lucky and persistent for these ;-)

    @ Grey Horse Matters: you should see all the other photos I have of this family ;-)

    @ Mara: yes, or actually no. The tree is (was, it fell down in a storm) next to the path that we use to bring our horses to the neighbour's field. So no, but nearly.

    @ frog ponds rock: I knew my plan would work! HA! lol
    But you have all kinds of birds that don't live here, so I'm not feeling sorry for you! ;-)

    @ Karen: Thanks for the link. I went over to her blog and really enjoyed it. It's almost scary how similar the photos are. AND she mentioned my name. Totally freaked me out. (Not really, I know they are another kind of bird, but still...) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Marja: I love to see these woodpeckers. And we have green, black and smaller spotted woodpeckers around too, but I've not (yet) been able to take photos of them. They are pretty rare, so make my heart jump every time I see them.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are very much appreciated. I will often answer your comment here too. So please click on the email link. Sometimes the most interesting part of a post are the comments ;-)