In case you were wondering....I'm fine ;-) We are all fine. And the horses are home again. We're happy! And I truly hope that you are all fine too.
Why haven't I been online the last couple of weeks?
I have been enjoying the sunshine. Or, to be precise: I have been standing 'upside down' in the neighbour's field, removing a weed that is poisonous for the horses. They are smart enough not to eat it, but still....better safe than sorry. So for the last four weeks (yep!) I have been working on tanning my back. Just a small section of my back actually. The piece that unveils itself when you bend over and your shirt creeps up just a little while your pants go southwards. You know, the piece of flesh that's been made famous by builders, although their pants often go further southwards than mine.
That small strip of flesh has a beautiful tan now while the rest of my back still is lillywhite. Makes a difference from blue/green/purple legs.
I will not bore you with pictures of my brown/white back. Instead, I will lighten up your life with pictures of two beautiful little villages in our part of the Netherlands, the North Eastern part called Groningen. Yesterday I took some time off from partly tanning and played 'tourists' with hubs. The villages are called Niehove and Ezinge and they date from before Christ. Both villages are built on a 'wierde', which is a manmade hill. Before the Dutch built dikes (in the 11th century they built the first dikes to keep the land from being flooded by the sea), people used manure from their cattle and soil (in Groningen that would be clay) to construct a hill high enough to keep their feet dry. On top of that hill they built their houses and churches.
This is Niehove:


The church in Niehove dates from the early part of the 13th Century.


And then we went to Ezinge which dates from around 600 B.C., also a very charming village with a church dating from the early part of the 13th century with a very imposing white gate.




So, without leaving the comforts of your home (or office), you have now visited a tiny part of the Netherlands. I hope you've enjoyed it as much as we did.
I will not be around much, the weather is far too nice and there still are so many weeds to remove. But I will pop in now and again to see how you all are doing.
A very big virtual hug for you all ;-)
Lovely photos and I'm very glad to finally hear something from you again!
ReplyDeleteVeel plezier met onkruid wieden...
good to see you back! and a grand comeback with superb photographs!
ReplyDeleteThat was a restful, relaxing tour for all of us.:)
ReplyDeleteThe pictures are so charming!
ReplyDeleteMara,
ReplyDeleteLief!
En bedankt ;-( Ik kan geen hondsdraf meer zien!
Magiceye,
thanks ;-) Starting September I'm going to follow photography course. Really looking forward to that. And I will return to your great meme soon too.
Jinksy,
and still no tips for the guide! *sigh*
Pam,
the villages were really charming. Especially Niehove. Imagine living in such a charming, well kept cottage. There was a great café too ;-)
Lady Banana,
I was born in Amsterdam. Spent the first 15 years of my life there. It's been years since I've been there, but I still have a soft spot for it. Hope you liked your visit ;-)
The "1634" house is lovely. All of it is, of course, but I was especially taken by that one.
ReplyDeleteRest easy and enjoy the nice weather! We'll all be around when you show up again, I'm sure!
Suldog,
ReplyDeletethat's what I thought too, a well-loved house. Very pretty with those Hydrangeas.
And thanks ;-)
Those villages are beautiful! I love the white church gate.
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you won't be around much, but I do understand that you have to work on your partial tan. I had one of those in the days I picked strawberries for pocket money. That part of me used to go nearly black, like a weird and toothless smile painted on my lower back!
Good luck with rooting out the poisonous weed! Is it ragwort?
I just love those little Dutch villages. I remember traveling through one many years ago, and I need to dig out the pictures. I think it was Leiderdorp? Is that familiar to you?
ReplyDeleteWhat charming villages and lovely photos ...
ReplyDeleteHay!! Glad to hear you are enjoying yourself and YES, that was an excellent tour! Loved every glimpse, truly!
ReplyDeleteToo funny aobut your irregular tan lines...it happens..you should see my farmers arms ! Well, good work making things safe..I have had my pulling sessions this spring already and now things are mowed for the summer. I pray alot too...since my PBO's overlook somethings I care about.
Keepin the faith here!
See ya's later
KacyK
Wow, what gorgeous photos. Breathtaking.
ReplyDeleteHugs, my friend!
The pics are awesome, but Oskar & I miss you!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeleteWow! what a very charming place. It looks like one of them illustrated villages in classic children's books just jumped out of the pages and came into being!The prairie, the houses, and even the red-brick church--they look so serene and most definitely picturesque. I bet spending time in such beautiful and peaceful surroundings does a lot to whet your appetite for writing.
ReplyDeleteYou stopped blogging on Mrs. RWP's birthday. Was it something she said?
ReplyDeleteWhat beautiful flowers! Love the photos and sorry to here about the small tan strip on your back!I don't tan at all..just burn but I do manage to get some sun when I mow the lawn....not that I want any of it!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the free tour! Glad to hear you are spending the season the right way - and not in front of the computer! :)
ReplyDeleteJust so you know Oskar & I miss you!
ReplyDeleteLovely photos, welcome home ...
ReplyDelete